by

Language and Literacy Essay

The part that resonated the most with me in the short narrative “Mother Tongue” by Amy Tan was the multiple experiences she had to go through with her mother. For example, when she needed to present herself as her mother to talk to a stock broker because he wouldn’t understand her mother is something I have been through many times, and I can resonate with and speak about. Numerous times the need for my assistance, like ordering food through the phone, amazon losing my mother’s package, and having to complain to the employers, was something a kid with native language speaking parents wouldn’t think it was hard, but it was. It was a burden placed upon you that if you messed up, there was no other way of getting that package back or not being able to make that appointment for the dermatologist or even just ordering food in the Chinese restaurant with people that you think aren’t even speaking English, I can write a few more pages on these events and their impacts that were engraved in me, but all I can say was how relatable and true and genuine were the writer’s experiences that instead made me more invested into the reading. I tried getting the most out of the thing she was trying to get across in her reading. Another part that did amuse me in the reading was the writer’s intention of making the short narrative more readable for everyone, especially her mother, because this is something I struggle with too, books with many words that are so complicated that sometimes I just tell myself what the heck am I reading like in the start of the narrative the author says the line “The intersection of memory upon imagination” like what those this even mean, maybe If i take a good 20 minutes it can be understood. Still, the point is that it can be said in simpler words so all people can understand it. It worked because most of the readings I did in High School didn’t make sense, and I definitely understood what she was trying to convey in the reading with the simpler words she used, like her mother said, “So easy to read.”.